About Me

I live with two very lively cats called Jason and Milly who are either keeping me entertained or else giving me grey hairs. Whether I’m laughing hysterically at Jason swinging off the curtains or cringing with embarrassment as Milly digs a hole in my neighbour’s flower bed as we’re chatting, there’s never a dull moment! I hope you enjoy these stories, whether you do or don’t have cats. if you have any stories of your own, please do share them!

Sunday 19 May 2013

Kitten Diary - The Little Monsters - Day 6

Day 6


Milly taking on our 'fat-cat' doorstop
My husband is at work and I am on my own with them. I play with them in the morning, as I have read its good for them if you play with them when they're tiny. However the novelty of dangling things for them to chase is wearing off a bit. I give up and go upstairs, thwarting their attempts to come up too, closing the door and again feeling a bit of guilty relief at being away from such attention seeking high maintenance pets. I would only have to open that door for them to launch themselves at me again, pulling at my clothes, climbing up my body, clawing my hair. I should really try and instil some discipline but they are so young and such little forces of nature – that it would be like trying to discipline a squirrel.

I peek downstairs later and silence reigns. Bliss! They have gone to sleep. I tiptoe round the kitchen and living room, tidying up, as though there was a sleeping baby I was afraid to wake. The place is in a terrible state! Small toys everywhere, pictures overturned and bank letters/bills that had been left on a coffee table – shredded to pieces by tiny claws. I tidy everything up but decide to leave the pictures face down, as they'll only be knocked over again. 

You can't catch me!
After dinner, my husband and I attempt to watch some TV with a glass of wine. Refreshed by their afternoon sleep, two small bullets hurl backwards and forwards across the room. They seem to be able to fight each other whilst simultaneously moving swiftly across the room; rolling over and over, bumping in to objects. It’s amusing for a while but it’s getting really hard to concentrate on our programme and relax. It goes quiet for a bit, and then a small head appears from between the DVD player and the Sky box in the TV stand. Milly pushes her way out, dislodging several DVDs and jumps up onto the shelf in front of the TV. She stands up on her hind legs against the screen, trying to reach the top with her front paws. Jason appears beside her and she scampers round the back of the TV set. As they chase each other round the TV, we decide have had enough of the disruption and they are banished to the kitchen for some 'Time-Out'. Unfortunately it’s a glass panelled door so we can constantly see them pressed up against it squeaking piteously.

After a while we forgive them and let them back in, and after a bit of reasonably uneventful scampering, they settle down on our laps.

What a day! Who could have thought having kittens could be so tiring?

No comments:

Post a Comment